This material is in support of the Fractals class taught by Bob Holloran at the CFCC Senior Institute, 2010. Based on The Teaching Company's Chaos Course by Professor Steven Strogatz, Cornell University.
Class Notes 2.12.2010
- London Millenium Bridge Opening - video
- Metronome synchronization - video
- Synchronization of Three Metronomes - video
- Emergence - a podcast. What happens when there is no leader? Starlings, bees, and ants manage just fine. In fact, they form staggeringly complicated societies, all without a Toscanini to conduct them into harmony.
Class Notes 2.05.2010
- Circular membrane (drum head) vibrations.
- Eric Heller's online gallery of quantum art.
- Fractals and the Heart, Goldberger, et. al.
- Fractal Geometry in Biological Systems: An Analytical Approach, Iannaccone, Khokha
- Heart rate variability movie
- Quantum Art and Poetry
Class Notes 1.29.2010
Class Notes 1.22.2010
- Hunting the Hidden Dimension - A 1 hour set of videos from NOVA about fractals that you can watch on your computer.
- Metabolic Rate and Kleiber's Law
- Article in Nature about Kleiber's Law (PDF)
Class Notes 1.08.2010
- Henon's mapping and strange attractor
- Rössler Attractor
- Fractal Geometry - This is a collection of resources from Yale University that support a first course in fractal geometry for students without especially strong mathematical preparation, or any particular interest in science. The Introduction to Fractals is a good starting point for exploring the Yale site.
Hohmann Transfer Orbit